Regarding Step2 Toys, Factories, and Lead Paint Recalls

Updated 8/17/07

With the recent rash of recalls by large toy companies, we’ve been receiving a number of inquiries regarding our toys, and whether or not they might contain lead-based paints. We’d like to help put your mind at ease when it comes to Step2 toys.

First of all, children and their safety are our primary concern. At Step2, we take great strides to ensure the safety and quality of our products.

The vast majority of Step2 products are manufactured in the USA through a process called rotational molding that does not use paint at all. While we do import some accessories and smaller toys from China, none are manufactured at any of the plants involved in the recent recalls. Also, all of our imported products meet ASTM (American Society of Testing & Materials) requirements and guidelines.

We go to great measures to ensure quality control of sourced items and components including:

1. Step2 utilizes an independent Hong Kong and China-based sourcing group to perform multiple, detailed inspections during production and after production at the factories in China. Any components that are found not to comply with our stringent quality standards are held up and not allowed to ship.
  2. Step2 regularly submits samples of each of our products to independent 3rd-party accredited testing agencies to conduct detailed testing to ensure compliance to the applicable safety standards.
  3. Step2 requires certifications that the coatings purchased by the factories in China for use on our components are, in fact, lead-free.

We hope these facts help alleviate any concerns you might have had about Step2 products. We value our loyal customers and want you to know we will always maintain a level of quality and service that is worthy of your confidence.

27 thoughts on “Regarding Step2 Toys, Factories, and Lead Paint Recalls

1. Anonymous

Could you please list which toys are made exclusively in the USA? Or list the items that are not made in the USA? This will greatly influence my decision to purchase STEP2 products in the future. Will your new main street village product line be made in the usa? Your prompt response is much appreciated!

2. Andy

While we don’t yet have a list, we’re working on distinguishing between US and imported products.

If you’re familiar with Step2 products, you can safely assume that all rotationally-molded parts were made in the US. These are the double-walled, super-durable pieces that we use for the main body of our playhouses, climbers, ride-ons, etc.

Small accessory items such as the doorbell on our Welcome Home Playhouse may be imported. Keep checking the blog (or subscribe via RSS) for further updates when they become available.

3. Anonymous

My children are adults now, but I am so pleased to see you still manufacture in the United States. Our manufactured in USA products are all to hard to locate for the many of us trying to support our country and it’s jobs. American’s will continue to support you as long as you continue to support those of us trying to purchase American made goods. Thank you!

4. Anonymous

It is great to see you all manufacturing many products here in the U.S. We have been very pleased with the quality of items we have purchased from you thus far. We would LOVE to see the list of items made here in the USA as we have decided as a family that we will try and exclusively buy toys made here.
    We would be interested in knowing if the Mainstreet Village toys are made here in the USA. If so, we were going to purchase the entire line, but if not – we will just find something else that you make here in the USA to purchase.
    I really think you all should move to try and made as much as possible here in the USA – I think people would really respond to that. Your toys are only slightly more expensive than what others charge and as I said earlier – the quality is so much better. I would rather pay a little more for a toy my child can actually play with – then one I have to take away almost immediately because the pieces keep coming off!

5. Anonymous

Hi!

I want to get the LifeStyle™ Deluxe Kitchen for my daughter. Are there any parts that are made in China? Also, the pretend food, cups, silverware,and plates…are they made in the US or in China? Thanks

6. Andy

The kitchen, as well as the pots and pans and cups are made in the USA. The phone and electronics are imported. (Please note that the imported parts adhere to ASTM standards)

7. Anonymous

Hi! Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, is the 101 Play Food Assortment made in the USA (anything made elsewhere)? Thanks again

8. Anonymous

It would be nice if you could compile the list of US made, US partially made, and forign manufactured items. On the 10th, you posted that the company is working on the list, but today is the 16th and still no list. How can it take so long to figure out? Scary!!

9. Anonymous

I would like to buy the Cross Country Cargo Wagon. Is it completly made in the US with US parts meaning the plastic (pellets, etc) used to made the wagon contain no lead. As Per the EPA, plastic made with paint containing lead emits a steady rate. Therefore, just because it is no painted does not make it safe. Please advise so I don’t have to but one from Canada.

10. Andy

We thank you all for your concern, and do want to keep you updated that we are working on the classification of the exact composition of our toys.

Because of the seriousness of this topic, we want to make sure that we clearly, sufficiently, and accurately convey the answers you are looking for. Our intention is not to delay on this issue any longer than necessary to ensure complete accuracy, and we thank you for your patience and understanding as we finalize the release of this information.

As always, if you have specific concerns regarding our products, you may contact us at 1-800-347-8372 to speak with a Consumer Service representative.

11. Andy

Regarding the MainStreet Village toys: this line is imported from China. It has been developed according to our strict quality control guidelines, and is subject to third-party inspection and other quality precautions that we take with all of our imported items. (See the listing of procedures we follow above)

We understand that imported products are of concern due to recent recalls, and would like to assure you to make sure that we go to great lengths to assure that any products sold under the Step2 brand name, whether made domestically or abroad, adhere to American safety standards and a high-level of quality control processes.

12. Anonymous

Do you have a list of toys made in the USA? We are starting our shopping list for Christmas and wish to buy only items made in the USA.

Thank you.

13. Anonymous

Please list of toys manufactured in the USA. I understand that some small toys from China may be included with the one manufactured in USA, therefore please identify them.

European toy websites have already updated their sites to include this information.

14. Anonymous

This heavily makes me want to purchase Step2 products. Can’t tell you how many toys I have thrown away just because they were made in China, this puts my mind at ease. I LOVE Step2 even before the latest recalls. I intend on purchasing more Step2 products. KUDOS!!! Let us know when there is a list of somesort!! Thank you!!!!!!

15. dan

I make every purchase a history lesson for my children and myself, I go out of my way to see where the toy was made, and for the last 10 years I have turned down cheaper toys made over seas and bought more pricier same style toys made right hear in the USA. THE problem I am having is which companies are following those guidelines to american free trade. There are some companies that I dont trust and some that I do. I was never aware that your products were made right here in the Promised land of America, because I never saw the made in the usa label. Please Please Please for the sake of our country – please make clear as day on your products where they are made. If you start to do so, then I will start to promote your American Products and buy them myself, until then I can only look for the label abd buy what I see.

Thanks Dan

16. Rose

Why is it such a project to create a list of toys manufactured in the USA vs. a list of toys manufactured in China. You can make this statement, “Also, all of our imported products meet ASTM (American Society of Testing & Materials) requirements and guidelines”, but you cannot tell us what these products are?

17. Andy

Again, I apologize for the delay. Because of the legal ramifications involved in making statements, and the high volatility of the situation, we are not only triple-checking everything related to this sensitive issue, but we are also taking great care to make sure that we respond in an appropriate and transparent manner.

We are in the process of not only creating a list (and, a la Santa Claus, checking it twice), but we are also working on preparing packaging and website labeling for all of our products that will clearly denote the country of origin of all our products.

I assure you, we will post a list as soon as (but by no means before) we are completely sure that it is accurate, transparent, and trustworthy.

18. Anonymous

Which toys are made in the usa? Could I please be provided with a list? Or a list of which aren’t manufactured in the US? Our family is making a lifestyle choice/change to only buy made in the usa products in light of this year’s recalls and problems with chinese imports. A list from your company will greatly influence our future purchases. Will your main street village set be produced in china? Also, are your 24×24 blue playmats produced here or in china. We have two sets and I may replace them with another brand if they are made in china. Your response will be much appreciated!

19. Macgyver Mommy

Anxiously awaiting the coveted list. I would like to continue to buy your Made in USA products. We have decided to only buy Made in the USA toys for our little one. Please make this list available as soon as possible. Thank you!

20. Anonymous

Thank you for manufacturing the majority of your products in the U.S. Having just purchased your star buggy for our one year old over the old stand-by cozy coupe we will continue to give your products preference over other companies when shopping for our four children.

21. Anonymous

I have noticed from my studying, that there are copanies that say there toys are made in the usa but are MANUFCTURED in China. Can you tell us this as well? Because santa is only bringing made & manufatured in the usa. Thankyou

22. Andy

Thank you for your patience in waiting for the release of Country of Origin information! We’ve updated our website database with information on the origin of all of our products, so that info can now be obtained by reading the product description under each item. For information on how we determine labeling, please see our Product Labeling and Quality Information page.

23. Anonymous

Please keep your toys “Made in America.” I just pulled out STEP2 toys for my sixth grandchild and was so glad that I didn”t have to worry about lead paint! Our toys have held up under many children. Thank You!

24. ib

sir, i live in guangzhou, china. recently i was attracted by your product sweetheart play house and searhced through internet, where i was located with a below company product. sir before i buy from them i would like to confirm with whether it is original product(they are telling me that all the parts are imported), can i beleive them? is this parts original from step2? pls clarify.