When is it the right time for a “big kid” bed?

Making the transition from crib to “big kid” bed is not just a milestone for your little one, but also for you. Talking about a bed when your child is still in the crib and consulting parents who have been there are good starting points when deciding if the time is right. Once you’ve decided that the time is right, Step2 has some great options that will help with the transition.

We currently offer four toddler beds, ranging in mattress size from toddler to twin. For your little princess, the Toddler Sleigh Bed has a whimsical design with a princess theme and accommodates a toddler size mattress. If you are looking for a bed a bit bigger, the Princess Palace Twin Bed has a headboard with twin towers features “windows” with a scenic “view outside the castle” and accommodates a twin size mattress.

For your little prince, the Stock Car Convertible Bed is designed to resemble a race car and conveniently converts to fit a toddler size or twin size mattress, making for a cost effective transition.

Looking for a gender neutral solution? The LifeStyle™ Twin Bed is a tan-colored bed that accommodates a twin size mattress with an under-bed storage area, or a “play fort” for kids, and built-in climbing ladders on both sides.

If you remember, or are looking for, the Dream Castle Bed and Firetruck Bed, we unfortunately no longer offer these options.

61 thoughts on “When is it the right time for a “big kid” bed?

1. amy rosea

These beds are a great stepping stone. I had bought the racecar for my son and the castle for my daughter when they turned two. My twins loved them. I made sure to go with twin mattresses so that we wouldn’t need to upgrade again as quickly. I really did some research on that part of the purchase, since a good mattress is definitely the key ingredient to a comfortable and peaceful night’s sleep for everyone in the family. When I was buying a new mattress for my children, I found that Sleepy’s had an amazing site that offered a complete listing of different twin size mattresses, as well as other mattresses at great prices. While I may work with them, they have honestly helped me find the right bed for my little ones, as well as everyone else in my family.I would definitely recommend them.

1. Step2 Post author

The Dream Castle Convertible Bed has been discontinued. The conversion kit was manufactured with the rest of the bed and therefore there are no extra kits to sell separately. We are sorry we could not be more helpful.

2. Kristi Shewfelt

How long ago was the firetruck climber discontinued? i am looked at a used one and am trying to figure out what is a fair price…they are asking $140.00

1. Step2 Post author

Kristi, we don’t recall a firetruck climber, but we did have a product that was called the Five Alarm Fun Center. Is this what you are referring to?

3. Kristi Shewfelt

Yes, I was able to find an image of it and it is called the Five Alarm Fun Center. I could not find anything past 2005 – was it discontinued that long ago?

4. Scott

I’ve found a used Dream Castle convertible bed. I’m wondering if there are instructions available for it. The previous owner indicated that it was usable as a play house as well?

5. Bobbi

Hi. We got the Castle of Doom playhouse for Christmas and do not have instructions on how to build it. Do you have those available?

1. Step2 Post author

Bobbi, we have forwarded your request along to our Customer Service department. They will be in touch with you via email regarding these instructions.

6. Greg

Can the middle pieces of your existing line of beds, such as the race car, be substituted for the middle section of the discontinued fire truck and yellow volkswagon beds. Thanks, Greg

1. Step2 Post author

Mary, the Dream Castle Convertible Bed was approximately $349.99 when it was available. This bed was discontinued in early 2010.

1. Step2 Post author

Samantha, because the Dream Castle Convertible Bed was discontinued in 2010, we unfortunately don’t have replacement parts for this item.

7. Sara

We were given the Dream Castle convertible bed as a gift and looking for assembly instructions. Do you know where I can find them?

8. Rubi Tonelli

Do the “window” stickers from the Princess Palace Twin bed fit the Dream castle convertible bed?

9. Sunshine Tihlarik

Are there instructions to convert the toddler Dream Castle bed into a twin?? The playhouse as well?

10. deanna

i just purchased a fire truck bed, but to my surprise the light and siren do not work? is there a reason that you make a bed that lasts forever but you do not supply stickers or replacement parts? this is very frustrating. i also have the cozy coupe, we will be exploring options on making replacement stickers/pictures (maybe from the boys and laminated.) thanks deanna

1. Step2 Post author

Deanna, sorry to hear that you are frustrated. We offer replacement parts and decals for products that are currently being manufactured. The Fire Truck Bed was discontinued many years ago and therefore we no longer have inventory of these parts and/or decals. In addition, the Cozy Coupe is not a Step2 product. Please contact the manufacturer of the Cozy Coupe regarding this inquiry.

11. Jessica

Is there anyway I can get the stained glass window stickers and a replacement for the light for the princess bed?

Hi Jessica,

Please call Customer Service at 1-800-347-8372 Monday – Friday, from 8-5 ET. They will be able to assist you in ordering replacement parts for the princess bed. Thank you for your question!

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, because the fire truck bed is a discontinued product, we do not have replacement parts or decals for this item. We apologize for the inconvenience!

12. Terri

Deanna,
    I too am frustrated that they don’t have replacement parts for the firetruck bed. After researching many sites and reviews i see most owners state that the light quit working after a short few months; which is probably why Step 2 discontinued it. They should own up to a malfunction on their part and fix this problem.
    Terri

Hi Gabriel!

Someone from Customer Service will be forwarding you the instructions in the next couple of days. Thank you for your question.

13. Jill B.

I just purchased a second hand step 2 firetruck bed and after i put it together i noticed hat it started to smell like cat urine, but the previous owner did not have cats, have you ever had that complaint before? Does the plastic it was made with have phthalates in it?

1. Step2 Post author

Please give us a call 1-800-347-8372, Monday – Friday between 8 am – 5 pm ET to receive assistance about odor removal.

14. JAN

hello i have a pink step 2 castle that was given to my daughter as a handmedown, and we need instructions…can you help?

Hi Amanda,

The color will not match. Also, the pieces are on backorder right now, but please give us a call 1-800-347-8372, Monday – Friday between 8 am – 5 pm ET to find out additional information about product availability.

15. denise

i think step 2 should keep parts of stuff they no longer make because of hand me downs i have a 3 year old thats has the dream castle bed but we dont have any rails i have looked ever where if for any reason u do find please email step 2 r made so good i really love your stuff keep it up

Hi Janice,

We do have assembly instructions for the Snooze & Cruise bed. Someone from our consumer services department will be emailing you the assembly instructions. Thanks for your inquiry!

16. Candice

I am hoping I can get some replacement stickers for my firetruck bed, or just the eyes if you have them from another kind of bed. My boys have the yellow bug car & the firetruck, but the firetruck was in ruff shape when we got it & he’s missing eyeballs. :) If you could help me out I’d really apprecite it. Thank you.

Candace,

Unfortunately, we offer replacement parts and decals for products that are currently being manufactured. The Fire Truck Bed was discontinued many years ago and therefore we no longer have inventory of these parts and/or decals. I apologize that we no longer have the replacement parts!

17. Renee

I recently bought the fire truck bed although I’m wondering to make the lights & sirens work does it take batteries?? I see a spot to plug something in? Does it take both? Do you have a manual or instructions available?

Renee,

I have forwarded your inquiry to our Customer Service department. One of our representatives will be emailing you the instructions to the Fire Truck bed. If you have further questions, please call us at 1-800-347-8372, Monday – Friday between 8 am – 5 pm ET.

18. Kimberly

Hi Step 2,
    My son just received the Stock Car convertible bed as a hand me down…he’s STOCKED! Any way I could get my hands on new decal stickers for it?
    Thanks!

1. Step2 Post author

Kimberly, yes, we have decals for the Stock Car Convertible Bed available for purchase. To place an order, please contact our Customer Service team at 1-800-347-8372 M-F 8am-5pm.

19. mark mcgrew

Hello I have firetruck bed but was wondering why the middle of floor has a hole in it , I see online people are putting wood boards in middle for mattress support. I am also wondering to make the lights work is there a power adapter because I see a spot to plug something in? Thanks

Mark,

There is a support board that does go in the middle. However, this product is discontinued so we no longer have parts. You can measure the area and have a board cut to fit from a local hardware store.

The light does have a place for a 6 volt adapter. You can take the light to a nearby Radio Shack or Circuit City and they can help you find a proper adapter.

I hope you find this information helpful. If you have any further questions please give our customer service department a call at 1-800-347-8372 M-F 8a-5p ET.

20. Stacie

I recently purchased a Fire Engine for 2 and the batteries for the siren and lights don’t work. Is there a way to replace the batteries?

Stacie,

Although this product has been discontinued, our consumer service team may have some suggestions on how to replace the battery. You can give us a call at 1-800-347-8372 Monday- Friday, from 8-5 ET.

21. Barb

I know its discontinued but i was just curious what the Step2 Firetruck bed with the yellow eyes on front retailed at when it was available? Thank you