Would you like to add some more color to your outside play area?
You can easily make some curtains, a tablecloth and chair cushions at home!
What you will need:
- Cotton Fabric (we purchased a total of 3 yards and had a little left over when we were done)
- Fusible Bonding for medium fabrics
- Safety pins
- Curtain rods
- Command Hooks
- Ironing board
- Kids Table & Chairs
How to Make Curtains for your Playhouse
- Look inside your playhouse for a flat surface above your window that you can attach your Command Hooks to. The curtain rod will rest on the Command Hooks when the craft is complete. Measure from the area you chose to the bottom of the window.
- When you have your measurements from step 1, you will want to allot for extra material around the edges that will be fused together for smooth edges. Add 1″ to the sides and bottom and 2″ for the top.
- Lay your fabric flat on your ironing board. Fold 1″ over on one of the sides.
- In between the folded piece and the flat portion, place some of the fusible bonding.
- Fold the 1″ flap over the fusible bonding and iron the fabric together.
- Repeat this step for the other side and the bottom of your curtain.
- On the top of the curtain, fold over 2″ of fabric, place your fusible bonding and iron.
- Slide the curtain rod through the loop you made at the top.
- Inside your playhouse, stick your Command Hook above the window on one side.
- Repeat on the other side of the window.
- Place the curtain rod on the hooks.
How to Make a Table cloth
- Measure your tabletop.
- Determine how much fabric you would like to hang over the sides and add that to your tabletop measurement. Add an extra 1″ all the way around.
- Cut your fabric and “hem” the edges by folding the fabric over 1″ on each side and fuse them together the same way you did for the curtains.
How to Make Chair Cushions
- Measure the seat of your chair.
- Using your pencil, measure and mark where you will need to cut your foam.
- Measure your fabric by doubling the dimensions for the foam and add 2″ to each side.
- Place the fabric over the foam and repeat the steps to fuse the pieces of fabric together
- Take extra care ironing during this step, move the iron quickly so you don’t burn your foam.
- Make the seam of the cushion on the underside.
- Fusing the fabric on the sides can be tricky, but we found that folding them like wrapping paper worked well. After they are folded, fuse them together.
- Next you will need to measure how much ribbon you will need to go around the back of your chair.
- Cut your ribbon and use your safety pin to attach it to the bottom of the cushion.
- Tie the ribbon around the back of the chair.
We would love to see your decorating ideas!