Step2 is celebrating CHD Awareness week by offering sitewide $.07 shipping and 14% off * February 7th through February 14th. To spread awareness, we will be featuring red products, the main color of CHD Awareness, on our website, in email blasts, and on social media.
Right now, we hope you’re saying, “awesome sale,” but also, “What is CHD Awareness Week?”
CHD Awareness week is an annual awareness effort to help educate people about Congenital Heart Defects (CHD), the number one birth defect of babies in the US and the world.
Here are a few things about CHD you may not know:
- CHDs affect around 1% of all babies born and are the leading cause of all infant deaths in the United States.
- Every 15 minutes, a child is born with CHD.
- There are more than 40 different types of congenital heart defects.
- In the US, twice as many children die from congenital heart defects each year than from all forms of childhood cancer combined, yet funding for pediatric cancer research is five times higher than funding for CHD.
- In the last decade death rates for congenital heart defects have declined by almost 30% due to advances made through research.
- There is no cure for complex defects, only management to help increase the quality and quantity of life.
Step2 has been partnered with The Saving tiny Hearts Society (StHS) for the last six years, to contribute to the fulfillment of its mission of raising seed money for grossly under-funded, lifesaving research of congenital heart defects. To date StHS has raised and granted over a $2 million dollars and funded twenty four (24) research projects.
StHS is one of the United States most efficient non-profit organizations, maintaining an operating overhead of under 10% of its total revenue. The main objective is determining how to prolong, improve and save the lives of children born with Congenital Heart Defects.
CHD impacts so many kids and their families, and it has hit one of our own here at Step2. Tena Crock, VP of Digital and Ecommerce, found out her baby would be born with a complex congenital heart defect at her 20 week ultrasound in 2011. Since then, her son has undergone four heart surgeries, the most recent, in August of 2015. He is doing amazingly well and is an official superhero in the eyes of his Mommy and Daddy, who get through the tough times, by approaching life in the following ways after being exposed to the crazy world of CHD:
- We have a new definition of what “normal” is
- We are chosen and blessed to be his Mom and Dad
- Always an honor, never a burden
- “Parents often think that they are here to guide the little ones. When – in reality – the little ones come forth with clarity to guide you.”
- “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.”
We appreciate your continued support and your help spreading the word about CHD Awareness Week!
*Promotion is valid 2/7/16 – 2/14/16 EST. Excludes clearance and combo items.