Oh the joy of imaginative play! There are many toys on the market that encourage little minds to use their imaginations, but none are quite like a child’s playhouse. Playhouses promote creativity, make believe fun and teach toddlers and preschoolers practical skills that they can use as they grow. With so many playhouses to choose from, deciding on the perfect one can be difficult. We want to make the decision easier, so here are 6 tips to keep in mind when selecting the best playhouse for your kids:
- Location and size: Will the playhouse be indoors or outdoors? It all depends on how much space you have in your house or backyard. Whether you decide to put a playhouse inside or outside, make sure you know the dimensions of the area you want to place it and the dimensions of the playhouse you are interested in buying. On each playhouse’s product page, we list the dimensions to help you visualize the size of the toy.
- Material: Playhouses are made out of different types of materials depending on the manufacturer. The most common types of playhouses are wooden, fabric or plastic. Step2 carries durable plastic playhouses that won’t splinter or warp. Plastic playhouses are also able to withstand most weather conditions and they’re easy to clean.
- Style and design: Some playhouses resemble real houses and others are brightly colored like a rainbow. The style and design of the playhouse may depend on if you want the color scheme of the playhouse to blend with a child’s playroom or your backyard.
- Age appropriate: There are recommended ages for all of our products. You can find the recommended age below the description on each product’s page. Not only is it important that your children are old enough to play in a playhouse, but it’s also important that they have an opportunity to grow into it. We understand that some children may grow faster than others, which is one of the reasons we have a graph that highlights the inside dimensions of our playhouses so you can determine if a compact or larger playhouse will be the best fit for your kids.
- How many kids can fit in the playhouse: Kids may enjoy sharing their playhouse with their friends or siblings. If you are looking for a playhouse set to entertain more than two children, it might be a good idea to consider a larger playhouse.
- Features: Each playhouse has different features such as a built-in kitchen, grill, working doorbell, mail slots, etc. The interior and exterior features vary from playhouse to playhouse. It’s important to select one that has features your child will play with frequently.
Playhouses help little imaginations to grow while creating memories that will last a lifetime, which is why picking the best playhouse for your kids is essential.
Do you have any tips you would recommend to families looking for a playhouse?
This month is all about summertime fun and incorporating outdoor and imaginative play. Playing in a playhouse is a great way for toddlers and preschoolers to develop their imaginations while they spend time in the backyard. We have an easy craft for you and your family to create that will go perfectly with your child’s playhouse.
Recently, we’ve had customers ask if we have mail that goes with our playhouses. At this time we don’t have mail; however, one of our crafty consumer service representatives Sandy decided to create something special for our customers to design at home!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Trace the 3” x 5” note card onto a foam sheet. Cut out the traced portion of the sheet to achieve the postcard size that will fit into the Step2 playhouse mail slots.
- Decorate the postcards with the foam letter and animal stickers. This is a great exercise to teach little ones how to spell their names if they want to address the cards to themselves.
- Decorate the tote bag with the same materials from the previous step.
- Place the postcards into the tote bag and your kids are ready to deliver mail!
Many of our playhouses have mail slots that are compatible with this DIY craft:
This project is a blast for the whole family to enjoy! Plus, it will provide kids with hours of pretend play fun. Even though we decided to decorate our postcards with the materials and instructions above, there are other cute ways to create kid’s postcards. Check out how A Million Moments and See Vanessa Craft designed their own envelopes.
Best friends come into our lives and leave a permanent imprint on our hearts. They’re the people that we consider family and sometimes the ones we’ve known the longest. In honor of Best Friends Day, here are some fun activities for young best friends to do on their play dates:
- Bake together: Friends work together to get the job done; isn’t that right? Little buddies can pretend to whip up some delicacies together or take turns cooking up a meal for each other to celebrate their friendship.
- Enjoy the fresh air, hang out and cool off: It’s terrific that Best Friends Day falls in the beginning of June every year because kids can spend their play dates enjoying the fresh air. Kids can swing on the swings, splash and scoop in an activity table, have a picnic or make-believe that they live together in a playhouse.
- Cruise around: Mom and dad can take little pals on a stroll around the park or local zoo. They can enjoy snacks in the wagon and explore the scenery. There is nothing like being chauffeured around with your best friend by your side!
Best friends know how to make each other feel special no matter what. Here are a few quotes dedicated to those extraordinary people in our lives:
“Friendship isn’t about whom you have known the longest… It’s about who came, and never left your side.” –Unknown
“Things are never quite as scary when you have a best friend.” – Bill Watterson, author of Calvin and Hobbes
“Friends listen to what you say. Best friends listen to what you don’t say.” – Unknown
“A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.” – Elbert Hubbard, American writer and philosopher
“My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me.” – Henry Ford, founder of the Ford Motor Company
Give your best friend a big hug today and thank them for all the joy they’ve brought you!