Fall officially started last week! The leaves are changing and the temperatures are dropping in some parts of the world. However, active play is important for kids whether it takes place inside or outside. Here are five ways to promote active play this fall:
- Apple picking: Take the kids to an orchard to pick some fresh and delicious apples! You and the kiddos will get to walk around and reach for apples. If it’s a little chilly outside, don’t forget to bundle up!
- Hide and seek: For the days that it’s just too gloomy to go outside, little adventurers can bring the classic game of hide and seek inside. To promote imaginative play, encourage your kids to imagine they’re secret agents hiding from other spies.
- Gourd scavenger hunt: Hide gourds in secret locations around your backyard, such as inside a playhouse or in a closed sandbox. Have the kids search for the gourds and whoever has found the most gourds by the end of the hunt gets a prize!
- Pumpkin race: Line up some pumpkins in the backyard and have your kids run up to the pumpkin finish line. This game will get little legs moving!
- Pile and jump: As the leaves begin to fall, little explorers can put the leaves in a big pile and jump on them.
Which activities will you and your family try this fall?
Our dollhouse provides hours of pretend play fun!
Fall came earlier than normal this year at the Step2 Headquarters in Streetsboro, Ohio. We have been experiencing a lot of rain and chilly weather! Even though the kids are back to school, they still need an outlet for active and creative play after a day of structured learning and scheduled play. We are here to help with some suggestions of what to do when it is cold and rainy and your little ones cannot escape the confines of the indoors but still need to release some energy.
Step2 has a variety of toys that you and your little one can play with on those dreary days of fall. Better yet, incorporating arts and crafts or cooking into the equation can inspire more creativity. Here are our top picks of fun filled activities to do with your children on rainy days:
- Draw me a picture! The All Around Easel for Two is a new product that inspires children to draw and post their artwork on the easel. Since there are two sides, more than one child can play with the easel. Suggest to your children to draw pictures of what it would be like if it was sunny outside. Ask them what their favorite season is and to draw it?
- Let’s get cooking! A customer favorite that has a new addition, the Grand Walk-in Kitchen & Grill! This great way to show your little chef what grilling is, is by firing up your own family grill and having your child imitate your movements on their Grand Walk-In Kitchen & Grill.
- Role play about the rain: Although playhouses are usually meant for outside, we have seen many of our customers bring playhouses inside during the colder months so their children can still play with their favorite toys. Suggest a role playing activity to do with your children such as pretending it is raining inside and running for cover in to the playhouse.
- Vroom-vroom in the living room: Ride-on toys are usually for outside but if you have some extra room in your house, you and your children can have fun riding around the house acting like a race car driver that is trying to make it home in a rainstorm.
How do you play with your children during rainy days?