Are your kids excited to help in the kitchen this holiday season? We have the perfect (and delicious) project that will allow them to lend a helping hand.
What you will need:
- Boxed cake mix (and ingredients listed on box)
- Cupcake liners
- Cupcake pan
- Small ice cream scooper
- Small spatula or butter knife
- Chocolate frosting
- Nilla wafers
- Candy eyeballs
- Tiny twist pretzels
1. Take out your cupcake pan and have the kids place a cupcake liner in it for each cupcake. Prepare your cake mix according to the instructions on the box.
2. Have the kids scoop the batter into the liners. We used a small ice cream scooper so it was easier for little hands to regulate the amount of batter in each liner. We also filled our liners 3/4 full so there is plenty of room once they bake to add the reindeer faces.
3. Bake your cupcakes according to the directions on the package then let the cupcakes cool completely.
4. Put a scoop of chocolate frosting onto each cupcake. Spread it evenly with your small spatula or butter knife.
5. Assemble the reindeer face. Place a Nilla wafer near the edge of the cupcake. Then, dab icing onto the “m” side of a red M&M and place it in the middle of the wafer. Add the eyeballs right above the wafer. Then, gently set two pretzels near the top end of the cupcake. (note: you will want to add the pretzels to the cupcake shortly before serving, otherwise they will go stale)